The pigments available over the centuries, including today, can be understood from a painter's perspective using Robert Gamblin's Navigating Color Space video. I highly recommend watching this free video several times. In my color mixing class ,we look at the colors on your palette and analyze the pigments used in terms of hue, temperature, chroma, and opacity. This gives us an understanding as to where the paint belongs in color space and how a paint color will behave in a mix.
My palette with a dark mix of transparent colors in the mixing area that I use for the initial drawing stage. You can also see, to the left and below the paint piles, a mix of grey green from palette scrapings the previous day.
My palette of colors changes based on the needs of the particular painting, but generally includes the following. I have noted the order numbers for dickblick.com for my student's convenience but double check them as they might have changed.
- Hansa Yellow Medium (dickblick #00401-4713). (alternate is M.Graham’s Azo Yellow dickblick.com # 01573-4453 or Gamblin’s Cadmium Yellow Light dickblick #00401-4073)
- Mono Orange (dickblick #00401-4933 ). (alternate is M Graham Indian Yellow dickblick.com # 01573-4163 or Cadmium Yellow Deep)
- Golden Ochre (dickblick.com # 00401-9033). (alternate is M Graham Yellow Ochre dickblick.com # 01573-4043).
- Cadmium Red Light (dickblick #004013093) (alternative is M Graham Naphthol Red dickblick.com # 01573-3603).
Colors in 37ml tubes that I use in the M Graham line:
- Anthraquinone Red (dickblick.com # 01573-4913) (Alternative is Alizarin Crimson Permanent. Gamblin’s is dickblick #00401-3063)
- Ultramarine Blue (dickblick.com # 01573-5233)
- Manganese Blue Hue (dickblick.com # 01573-5813) (alternative is Cerulean Blue, Gamblin’s is dickblick #00401-5163)
- Azo Green (dickblick.com # 01573-7453) Love, Love, Love this one.
- Transparent Red Iron Oxide (dickblick.com # 01573-3763)
- Titanium White (dickblick.com # 01573-1023)
Some optional colors that I find useful in the M Graham line:
- Quinacridone Violet (dickblick.com # 01573-6513)
- Quinacridone Red (dickblick.com # 01573-3273) and or Rose (dickblick.com # 01573-3793)
Colors that I use from the traditional Rembrandt Oil Color line are:
- Sap Green (dickblick #00417-7093)
- Viridian Green (dickblick #00417-7103)
I will be continuing to post my materials periodically. For those of you who have taken my classes, I will be adding new and updated information as I post--so stay tuned. Please feel free to post comments or questions. Look for my classes at http://traceyfrugoli.com/workshops. See my artwork at http://traceyfrugoli.com/works.
Thanks for reading!